Saturday, May 5, 2012
Cancer: Stage...RIGHT
Friday was surreal. I fasted. My reward? An injection of radioactive dye that "may cause loose stool." Well, what girl could refuse those terms? I bit.
Here's what I found out: my guest, Hodgkin's lymphoma, has a stage: TWO.
Good thing I didn't bet money on that, cuz I was expecting three.
The good Dr. Kasra Karamlou, MD Hematology Oncology of Swedish Cancer Institute explained it to me like this: the lymph nodes infected are all located above my diaphragm- specifically in my neck,lungs and armpits. Because they are only in the northern region of my body, I get awarded Stage Two. If they were found in my lower extremeties, I suspect his smile wouldn't have been as big.
Treatment will be the standard four rounds of chemo with a drug therapy called ABVD. Each spaced 14 days apart. No radiation. No puking. I agreed to participate in a big Hodgkin's trial that basically requires that I have a PET (positron emission topography) exam after the second round. If my guests respond positively to the drugs, I will not need to do the other two rounds of chemo. I may lose my hair. But what's hair if I get to kick cancer's ass? I'll just do what so many of my black sistas have done before me: go to the hair store and buy some more, dammit. The cure rate for this type of cancer under this type of treatment rates as high as 95%.
The lead-up to the first round on May 17 is: have a port surgically inserted in my chest to allow for easy admin of the drug cocktail. I need to surrender to a bone marrow biopsy, which magically I got Dr. K to agree to do while I'm still drugged up from the port surgery. I also need an ECHO- which will gauge the strength of my heart (yeah, like I got one of those...) and a CT Scan to gauge the shape of my guests. All of these events will be completed by Friday May 11.
I owe a big thank you to everyone of you who has taken the time to send me notes of encouragement. It means the world to me to hear from you. I also owe a HUGE thank you to my dear, and newest member of the tribe: Paul Tollefson. Wearing the title of: West Coast Director of Production, he has gotten all of this stuff over the finish line- and still manages to make me laugh and feel desired. Awesome!
Be sure to check back for more updates. Oh, and of course, I have a second opinion appointment scheduled for Monday. Don't worry! I'm doing my homework....unlike high school.....Michelle Nitz will be my back-up.
Talk to you soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey girl, hey! Ya..hair, I got you! When you're ready, we will take our cancer-ass-kickin selves hair shopping. So, I am not going to post cliche.. although often, it's just the right way to express ourselves. Instead I will say this; I love you. I KNOW you can do this..cause I've seen it up close and personal. Here to listen to your venting, or to share any experiences that you may want to hear about.
ReplyDeletePraying and sending abundant love.